Medicaid Planning Mass Health
The Boston Medicaid planning attorneys at Blake & Associates help families understand the options available to them to assist with long-term care financing for elderly or disabled family members when insurance coverage is not adequate to pay all costs.
Medicaid, known as Mass Health in Massachusetts, is a joint federal/state program that supports the cost of nursing home care for persons who qualify. Planning for Mass Health eligibility involves a thorough review of the elder's estate. If your family member has excess assets to qualify they will need to “spend down” those assets. Strategies such as prepayment of final expenses and, if appropriate, the transfer of assets may be used to help shelter those assets. Our assistance extends beyond planning to the actual application for Medicaid benefits.
There is a right way and a wrong way to spend down assets. It is important to talk to an experienced Medicaid planning attorney as soon as you think that a family member may be entering a long-term care facility or will require Medicaid benefits to pay medical bills. Families are often unaware of the options available to them to protect some of their family assets.
Early planning allows most families to:
- Preserve assets for future generations or to avoid impoverishing a healthy elder to pay for care for his or her spouse.
- Conserve assets for later use to pay for extraordinary expenses of the nursing home resident (such as in a special needs trust).
- Transfer assets in a manner that is lawful and does not jeopardize Medicaid eligibility.
- Qualify their elder or disabled family member for Medicaid financial support.
- Help their elderly family member get into housing placement that best meets their needs and wants.
- Save the family significant money.
We hope you will allow us to assist you at this critical time with asset protection for Medicaid planning, or long term care planning. Contact our office to speak to an attorney. The sooner you begin planning, the more options we can provide you.
No Time to Plan?
The Boston Medicaid planning attorneys at Blake & Associates work with many families who are responding to a medical crisis and need immediate legal guidance regarding nursing home financing. Contact our office. We know what resources are available to families and we can help you access those resources.
WGBH members will receive a 10% discount when using BlakeLaw.com
Contact Us Today!